November 16 2016
Pursuit of Happyness
- Did you like this film? Why/why not?
I did like this movie a lot because all of the events that occurred can easily happen in a day to day common man’s life. Chris was facing financial issues and his wife could not support him in the decisions he made. All he wanted was to support his family and enjoy life. But due to bad decisions that he made before he was not able to go for any job because he was not qualified for any job and when the stock broker jobs a rose he like the offer and decided to go ahead. This told me that no matter how far down you’ve fallen you can always get back up.
- What is happiness?
Happiness to me would be to be simply happy with my lifestyle, to enjoy it and live it to the fullest no matter in what conditions. And when hard times come to work hard and get through them , and to look at a bigger picture.
- Chris wants a better life for him and his son. What do you think he sees as happiness for his son? Do you think he makes the right decisions to achieve this?
For his son I think he saw happiness as his son having a place to call home, a steady day plan, where they both could live together in one place not shifting one to the other. And being able to give his son time and love throughout the day. I think that he made the right decision by deciding to go ahead and start the Stock broker course because he felt that if he would get the job he would start to get a steady pay check off which he could feed his son.
- Do you think that people have an unalienable right (i.e. a right that should not be taken away from them) to happiness? Why/why not?
Yes no one is allowed to just take your happiness away from you and if they do you should take it back because it’s your happiness. For example in the movie Chris’s wife took their son because she thought that Chris could not provide enough for their son, but Chris knew that he could and he took his son back and worked hard to get to where he is now.
- “And it was at that time that I thought about Thomas Jefferson writing that Declaration of Independence. Him saying that we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And I thought about how he knew to put the ‘pursuit’ in there, like no one can actually have happiness. We can only pursue it.”(Chris)
Do you think anyone can achieve happiness? Why/why not? Is pursuing happiness better than achieving happiness or not? Why?
I think that anyone can achieve happiness if they try hard enough, happiness is not limited to anyone. Everyone has the right to be happy and to be given time and the opportunity to achieve happiness. I think that once you have gotten up from the bottom that , that feeling alone is enough to tell you that you can do anything that you put your mind to it, and if it’s for the benefit of you and the people that you love.
- Do you believe that you can always get what you want if you try hard enough?
I do because if you put your mind to it nothing should be able to stop you because in order to try hard for something you need to actually care about that thing. In this movie Chris wanted his son to have a stable life financially and for him to be able to take his son out and not have to worry too much about trying to pay bills. ANd he did he worked so hard that he was able to get the job which now lets him have a stable lifestyle including bills and rent.
- How do you feel about Chris’s goals in life? To what extent do you identify with them in your own life?
I think that Chris;s life goals were very realistic and make sense. I think he cared about his family that they invested all of their money into a company hoping that they would make a lot of profit but it didn’t work out like that unfortunately, but his original thought was to have a good life for his wife son and him. In my life i would see myself making very similar goals I would want to make enough money that my family and I could live peacefully and not have to worry day to day about bills and rent. Would I work as hard as he did probably because this money is truly very inspr thalan to me because it tells me that if you really do fall hard you can get back up and sorrow ever higher than before.
- What things do you think we should pursue in life? Is happiness one of those things? Why/why not?
I think that you should pursue things in your life because by pursuing things you would work harder for them and you would overcome the obstacles in between with more sense because you know that you want reach the end as soon as you can. I would go ahead and pursue happiness because I believe that if you didn’t work hard enough for something that you could’ve done better.
- Do you think Chris should have tried to seek regular steady employment to provide for his family and prevent some of the hardships his family and son had to face?
I think that he could’ve but he originally started selling the machines in the hope that he would be able to make a lot more of money but he failed unfortunately, and then by taking the internship I think that he took the right decision because he believed that he would be able to get the job he believed in himself and so did his son. Chris worked so hard and all of his hard work helped him become a Stockbroker.